Happy New Year! It's been a busy January catching up and getting ahead on several art projects. My ATCs are all done for the next swap on Thursday and in typical form I made 11, two more than the required nine. I've been seeing several peoples ATCs online and they are all SO beautiful! Everyone gets essentially the same kit and its so fascinating to see how different everyone's cards are! Can't wait to see them in person!
This rounds theme is; Of Mystery & Magick
My second big project has been preparing a book for a new local group doing a round robin style Altered Book Swap. I decided to create a new book using the covers of an old book that was in pretty bad shape - but the covers were gorgeous! We meet tomorrow - my first meeting as I am joining the group mid-way through. Can't wait! The theme is to pick an era in time. I chose Post WW1 Paris France, a very important time and place in the literary & artistic world. It was the time of 'The Lost Generation' when so many expats left an indelible mark on history.
After separating the spine and pages from the covers I finished off the cut edge with Washi Tape. Next I added the antique doily and metal element, securing the metal element with a fancy rhinestone nailhead. I created a new spine with black bookcloth, finishing off the holes for the final binding with eyelets. Right now its a temporary binding so it's easier for the artists to work on their section. I glued the spine to the covers but decided to to make it a bit sturdier with more eyelets and gold ribbon. I pressed metal corner protectors to the front and back covers.
I had to recover the inside of the covers because the endpapers were plain, and well, just boring! I used a hand marbled paper from my stash and I covered the nailhead prongs with the vintage element sticker.