I've been on this Steampunk craze for some time now and it's showing no signs of dissipating. And I don't mind one bit! I started this piece at my local stamp/paper arts store (Papercraft Clubhouse in Westbrook CT) during their Studio Saturday a couple weeks ago and finished it in time to give it to my nephew this weekend. With a couple exceptions all the elements are chipboard and grungeboard painted and distressed to look like metal. I used mostly Tim Holtz products - inks, paints, dies, grungeboard, grungeboard elements and tons of stuff from his Ideology line. I also used a set of large gear dies from Spellbinders.
I started with a rough board 'canvas'. It was pretty dark to start so I dry brushed it with gesso to bring out the textures and patterns of the wood but also to lighten it up a bit so all the elements would pop better.
The Escutcheon on the lower right, pull knob at the top and key on the left side of the central image are all old, rusty metal pieces I had in my stash. I backed each of the holes on the escutcheon with faceted rhinestone buttons called Goosebumps. To create all my gears I started by painting them with Distress Paints. Once dry I sanded them to knock back some of the paint and distress them. Next I applied Distress inks and then, with my finger, I swiped each gear and hinge with a bit of Viva Decor Stamp Paint which has a very gritty, metallic look. Next I built my gears using metal gears and brads and tacky glue.
While the gear elements were drying I built my central image. I made several copies of two different images I found online - all the same size. Next I cut out elements from each image to build a 3-D image, using black foam tape and mini dots to raise each section. I then encased it with the tape measure mini borders to create a frame.
Once everything was dry it was just a matter of arranging the elements until I liked it and glue everything into place. I did use a lot of glue on the real metal elements because they are a bit heavy. The toughest part was not touching it until the glue had completely dried - which took 3 days!!
This was fun to make and I am not done with Steampunk yet. Onto the next project!