Happy 2015! Wishing all my readers a happy & healthy year.
Tim Holtz is continuing with his 12 Tags monthly challenges and I will be participating again. For me half the fun is adapting his tag using materials that I already have. Last year I did ATCs and filled a 7 Gypsies ATC tray. I found the size to be very challenging so I am going back to #8 tags - with a twist.
Last summer I took a book making class with Seth Apter that featured a no-sew binding. I LOVED the class and Seth is a fabulous teacher! I took that binding and altered it just a bit to fit the bulkiness of the tags. I love the technique because you can work the page/tag before gluing it into the book so it's not awkward and you don't have to worry about getting paint, ink, etc on your other pages.
So this year my 'substrate' is a book. Big surprise right!? As a bookbinder it was inevitable that I would combine the two things I love to do!
I started with an old book that had an interesting cover design. This book already had the guts (book pages) cut out so all I had to do was cut off the existing spine. I used a baby wipe (so I wouldn't have brush marks) to apply a thin coat of Titan Buff acrylic paint to the covers to knock down the pattern just a bit. Once they were dry I edged the covers with Archival Inks (Potting Soil & Tree Branch) and heat set to dry.
I covered the book title with a strip of vintage-y brown paper that I edged and stenciled with the same Archival inks then glued into place.
Next I created the spine with strips of heavy card-stock that I scored, folded and glued together, then glued it to the inside of the covers along one edge. If you want more specifics you'll have to take Seth's class.
Next I cut a piece of fabric (I stiffened it with fusible interfacing) to fit over the card-stock spine and glued it to the outer edge of the covers.
To make the spine more decorative I stitched antique buttons through both spines (card-stock & fabric) with waxed linen thread. I used my Japanese Screw Punch with a 1.5mm tip to punch out the stitching holes, but first I created the stitching pattern on paper to make sure the stitching would be even and balanced.
To finish my covers and make the spine sturdier I die cut from Grunge Paper 6 mini ornate crosses (a Tim Holtz/Sizzix die) - they make perfect hinges - don't you think? I also used Grunge Board numbers and Alpha Parts to spell out 12 Tags 2015. I painted the Grunge board & paper parts with Black Soot Distress Paint and once dry I painted over randomly with Tarnished Brass Distress Paint (also topped off the Alpha Part pieces with the Tarnished Brass paint). When everything was dry I edged with Archival Inks and covered with a coat of Glossy Accents for some shine.
Once everything was dry I glued the parts in place on the covers with 3 hinges on each cover (front & back). To make sure the spine wouldn't come apart I poked 2 long brads through each hinge, through the cover, pressing them flush with my bone folder (you can also gently hammer flat) with the inside covers. Then, I glued my new endpapers into place to cover all the brad ends and spine flaps.
So now it is all ready! Time to get busy on my January tag and fill this book!
Have a creative day!